fredag 6. april 2012

The Hunger Games (2012)


To specify: I never read the books, so this review is based solely on the film itself.

For a movie with a plot reducing 24 to 1, director Gary Ross certainly makes it hard for himself, refusing to deal with a lot of choices along the way. This makes me start with the films greatest flaw; its runtime. It clocks in at almost two and a half hours and the screenplay really doesn't have enough material for that. Thus meaning it's a bit of hit and miss at times. Intriguing for a few minutes, then tedious and intriguing again. Through the first half of the movie this really does prevent a real flow. And although I'm sure they hired every tasteless designer in Hollywood to dress up the city of Capitol, it still looks horrid and misplaced. No wait. Because they hired every tasteless designer in Hollywood, it looks horrid and misplaced.

When the games begin, however, there is plenty of suspense to keep you awake. Personally, I thought I had had more than enough of animals/shadows/people chasing people, but they create a wonderful suspense for most of it and only a couple of times do they get tempted by the Bay-side (Bay-hater analogy) of the force and refuse to cut scenes that really didn't belong. You are likely to grab onto the seat and feel your pulse increase ever so slightly. It's a good thing!

Ross also fails to make the most of a couple of scenes that set up some possible brilliance but ends in decency. Furthermore he is clearly restrained by the PG-rating, though he could still have avoided using hand-held cameras quite so much to avoid showing any gore. Hand-held cameras add little more than confusion and their use should be kept to a minimum.

The suspense is partly due to something as rare as decent casting for a teen-flick. Both Hutcherson and Lawrence are quite alright and even muster some chemistry here and there, though their characters are of limited interest. Most of the fodder-extras do OK too, though none of them will be missed later on. Love shine a light on Woody Harrelson for the first half though. Whenever he shows up, there's just that little extra amount of charisma and panache that the others lack. Unfortunately he undergoes some strange, unexplained transformation that doesn't really suit him and towards the end he's as dull as the ten thousand extras that stole from Elton Johns closet in Capitol. Another dent for the utter misuse of Donald Sutherland who is left with a nothing of a part, leaving only the subtle hint of utter villainy that he does so well. And, of course, it pisses me off beyond belief that director Ross is unable to allow the heroine a clean kill. It either has to be indirect (dropping wasps on people) or in immediate self-defense. For a contestant in a death game that masters a crossbow, that's just stupid.

This film is nowhere near deserving of its hype, but it's not at all a bad way to entertain yourself for a couple of hours. Did it set up well for a further two installments, though? No! But that's a different matter.

6/10

4 kommentarer:

  1. It was very refreshing to read a review from someone who hasn’t actually read the book. I agree with some of your critique and I do believe that this would have been a better film if it had been made for a more mature audience (I’m not particularly fond of blood and gore in movies but this is a game of life and death!). I guess Hollywood wanted it this way so that all the younger fans could go and see the movie, understandable.

    Btw you should check out this trilogy(but I'm guessing you might have heard that already). The books offer a lot more depth, especially to the characters.

    SvarSlett
  2. Thank you. Sorry about the late reply but my first exam in 10 years this weekend so naturally all else is put on hold. ;)
    I figured much of the characters were "lost in translation" as that is where moviemakers most often fail when they adapt the book. There really were no characters I felt I needed another 2 movies with. Besides, when i.e. The Fellowship of the Ring ended, it ended in a way that made you anxious to see the next instalment. Hunger games doesn't if you haven't read the book. There is nothing there to suggest an interesting follow-up.

    SvarSlett
  3. That is perfectly understandable, I hope you did well on your exams. I find it wise to always subscribe to comments where I think I might just get an interesting reply so I'll always get a notice in my inbox. A rather handy function :)

    I have to disagree with you on that one. How about the suppressed and mistreated people in all the districts? :) The main characters have their almost happy ending but all the rest? No that needs a solution I would say(but then again I might be partial due to my love of the books).

    SvarSlett
  4. Gmail is good in that respect. :)
    Disagreements are good, new perspectives and good points often arise. Perhaps that's one of the aspects I missed parts of not having read the book. I really don't think the film makes the people in the districts interesting enough to warrant a sequel. Apart from the riot-scenes (perhaps the best crosscut scene in a while) it's just a distant background. That it could make an interesting sequel is very possible, but I don't think the first film does a good job with the setup then.

    SvarSlett